The nose, being located in the centre of the face, that makes it the most noticeable part. Thus, any deformation or disproportioned sized nose is mostly noticeable too. Which may lead some people to thinking about changing their nose shape.
Rhinoplasty or nose job is a surgical procedure that changes the shape and size of the nose nose. It can be performed for an aesthetic or a functional reason or for both. Two types of rhinoplasty exist in our clinic in Istanbul : Open rhinoplasty and closed rhinoplasty. Actually the difference between the two surgeries is simple, which is making incisions or not.
What can rhinoplasty treat ?
Rhinoplasty is able to treat breathing problems as well as aesthetic problems such as :
- Nose size in relation to facial balance
- Width at the bridge or in the size and position of the nostrils
- Nose profile with visible humps or depressions on the bridge
- Nasal tip that is enlarged or bulbous, drooping, upturned or hooked
- Nostrils that are large, wide or upturned
- Nasal asymmetry
Nose surgery procedure
During the consultation the surgeon will decide which types of surgery to perform closed or open rhinoplasty. However, open rhinoplasty is more preferred by surgeons.
The patient will receive general anesthesia for the surgery. Then the surgeon will make a small incision into the tissue between the nostrils and into the nostrils. Afterward, the surgeon will make the necessary changes depending on the patients need. your surgeon may :
- Reduce your nose by removing some of the cartilage and bone
- Enlarge your nose by taking cartilage from the ears and bone from the hips, elbow or skull, and using it to build up the nose (known as a “graft”)
- change the shape of your nose (including the nostrils) – by breaking the nose bone and rearranging the cartilage
- change the angle between the nose and top lip
Why to chose open rhinoplasty ?
Although, open rhinoplasty is more invasive compared to close rhinoplasty. It allows more precision in difficult noses and when changing nose structures in complex cases. As it allows access to the entire nose structures, and that makes if a more effective method for better results.
Recovery after rhinoplasty
After the surgery, you will have splints into your nose plus the bandage placed on it for one week. You should keep your head in a higher position than your chest to reduce swelling and bleeding. You may go back to your daily activities after 2 weeks without any recognizable signs. More strenuous activities must wait up to six weeks. Also, wearing eyeglasses should be avoided for 4 weeks.
You may notice a slight swelling after recovery, this will resolve after six months, and the final shape of your nose will be apparent.